Tuesday, June 30, 2009

BBA Challenge #6: Challah Bread

I'm lagging a bit on my baking. (Surprise, surprise! I'm very good at starting things and slowing down to a standstill long before they're finished. I think I can, I think I can.... ) Didn't bake at all last week, so am going to try to get two breads in this week. While I'm enjoying the baking and the eating of all this bread, I must say it's way too much white flour for my liking. So, this week, I decided I would do the challah, but only half the recipe. Challah is traditionally made and enjoyed by Jewish families in preparation for the Sabbath. I've never made this recipe before, and it was a very simple and straightforward bread. Enriched by eggs and oil, it has a nice soft texture, and Peregrine appreciated the softer crust. Shaping loaves is not one of my skilz, and I usually just make either sandwich bread or slack-dough bread like ciabatta, so this was a bit of a challenge for me! I started with half the recipe, but needed some hamburger buns as well, so I made a very small braided loaf and six "flat" hamburger buns. (Just enough to hold it all together is the way we like them!) Because I was working with such small ropes for braiding I wasn't able to quite follow the instructions in the book and I didn't pinch the ends enough so they didn't all stay stuck together. In spite of that, it's a lovely golden little loaf. We haven't eaten it yet, but the hamburger buns were delicious.
Coming up next, ciabatta, one of my favorite breads to make and to eat.

4 comments:

  1. Pinched ends or not it is a keeper. Nice golden color. Great job,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful bread! I love challah bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great idea to make hamburger buns with it. I bet they were great. Good job on the challah too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful golden crust. Little challah knots (make a rope and then a little knot) make great hamburger buns too and way easier than braiding.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.