Wednesday, August 05, 2009

BBA Challenge #9 & 10: Cinnamon Bread and Cornbread

Gluten Free Cornbread

The last few weeks have been crazy-busy, plus some of us have been sick, and while I've still baked, I haven't made time to post my pictures. (Let alone do any "real" blogging!)
The ninth bread in the challenge was a cinnamon raisin loaf. I used the whole wheat recipe out of Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads; it was delicious. I'm pretty sure I took a picture, but if I did it has disappeared along with the bread.
The next recipe in The Bread Baker's Apprentice was for Corn Bread. This was the only non-yeasted bread in the book, so I thought I'd make it gluten free so Poppy could join us in eating it. So, as a disclaimer, it probably came out very different than the original recipe. I used brown rice flour, which I soaked overnight along with the cornmeal. I also skipped the bacon and fresh corn, so, yeah, I pretty much altered the recipe beyond recognition. But, it tasted good, especially with some cinnamon-honey-butter spread on it! Perhaps someday I'll make it again and stick to the recipe.
Up next: Cranberry Walnut Celebration Bread.

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your BBA posts! All the bread look so good! Hope everyone gets well soon. Thanks for sharing this Challenge so others can learn and enjoy!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued by soaking flours....I soak my rice, but have never heard of soaking flours! As I'm gluten free, I could eat this corn bread too.

    It looks great! You are a great Apprentice!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.