Friday, September 22, 2006

Happy Fall!


It's the first day of Fall, my favorite season. Outside the sky is blue, the vibrant blue that is a sure sign of autumn. The days have been cooler and the air feels clean and has a crispness to it, but the sun still shines warm. The leaves are just beginning to turn here in Oregon's Willamette valley, and the days are noticeably shorter. Fall is delicious. And cozy. I want to burn candles and sip cider and go for walks and pick pumpkins. I'm glad for Fall, and can't wait to be able to get ouside and enjoy it!
Here are a few updates on how things are going:
  • I'm feeling a little more strength, but still need to spend most of my time on the couch or sitting in a chair. It's hard not to feel discouraged, but I know that this time will pass. It's good to be able to rest and heal, physically and otherwise. The grief is not as intense now, but it's still there under the surface, waiting to spill over at any moment. We're being wonderfully taken care of by our families and friends. The hardest part for me is how it's affecting the kids, especially Peregrine. Please continue to pray for healing for me and grace and peace for all of us. We are so thankful for your prayers.
  • My friend Paula is now 21 weeks pregnant and went in for an ultrasound yesterday. The baby is doing well, but in spite of the surgery her cervix is still trying to open. In three more weeks she will go in again and they will discuss admitting her to the hospital and beginning steroid treatment that would develop the baby's lungs in the likely case that it will be born prematurely. She would have to spend the rest of her pregnancy in the hospital. Please pray that God would allow that baby to stay in as long as it needs to, and that she will be able to remain at home where her family can care for her. Also, that their home would sell soon, as that would alleviate some of the financial stress.
  • We're going to get started on Building Thinking Skills with Peregrine. We just got our package yesterday and are quite excited! We also got some new books, including the Adventures from Around the World Devotional Series, which are "chapter books" written by missionaries who have worked in differnent countries. Each chapter is a story that ends with an object lesson and Scripture verse. We are going to use these books, alongside some of the Christian Heroes Then and Now and Heroes of History books. Using them as a springboard we will learn about geography and different cultures in the context of world missions. We will also resume our Letter-of-the-Week fun and "play" with basic math concepts using manipulatives. We're not starting anything too officially yet, but these are some of the things I plan to do with him during this school year. He also just started swimming lessons this week and is loving it!
  • Finally, a shameless plug for The Timberdoodle Company. It's a company run by a homeschooling family. They choose their products carefully and only sell things they believe are good quality in both content and construction. I've ordered from them a few times and have been amazed at how quickly they've packed and shipped my orders. For example, I placed my recent order on a Wednesday morning and it showed up on my doorstep Thursday evening! Granted, they're only one state away, but that's still fast! They're also very friendly and helpful, happy to answer questions to help you find products that will be a good fit for your family. I always feel like I learn and get ideas just from looking through their catalog!
I thank you again for your prayers and the many encouraging words you've left for me. I hope you all have a great weekend with your families.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Fall! It sounds like you have great homeschooling resources coming together!

    Continued prayers coming your way, and the way of your dear friend and her wee one.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.