Monday, January 03, 2011

What I Like About You

This picture didn't make the "final cut" for our Christmas card, but I liked the real life quality to it.


    I used to write letters to my kids on their birthdays, describing what they were like, the things that interested them, and maybe some of the funny things they did or said. I've had great intentions of continuing with this, but it hasn't happened in a while. Quite a long while, I'm afraid.

    In the vein of choosing to focus on things to be thankful for, I've been thinking on traits I'm really enjoying in my family right now. It's not quite a letter to each, more like a sentence or two. 

    Erik, you're just a good man. What can I say? As we come up on our nine year anniversary, I'm so, so glad that I get to be the one to spend this life with you. Among many other things, I sure appreciate how you more often than not clean the kitchen for me after dinner. Also, it's sure nice of you to play Scrabble with me even though it's totally not your game. Thank you!

    Peregrine, my biggledy boy, I like how confident you are, how you are ready to take on the world, and have no doubts that you will win. I like how, now that you've learned to cook a few things, you seriously think you're pretty much one of the best cooks around. I like how pleased you are that you're able to take my place in the kitchen sometimes. Keep on learning!

    Poppy Joy Girl, I love how thoughtful you are of others, how you're so generous and kind, thinking of how you can bless others with what you have. I also love how much you adore your baby sister. I hope as you grow that you will be so blessed as you share this love!

    Raphael, you are one busy boy! I like how you really think that between you, Daddy, and tools, anything in the world can be fixed. I'm also loving how you are confident, but not precocious; you just know what needs to be done and jump right in and do it. And, one more thing; even if it makes a huge mess in the kitchen, I'm sure glad you like "water play" at the sink, because it's just about the only thing that will keep you in one place for more than two minutes.

    Brigid, my dear little Pearl, dolly girl, dovey doll, sweetums, cheeky monkey, you are just sweet, sweet, sweet! Have I ever known such a happy and content baby as you? You have the plumpest, most kissable cheeks around, and kiss them I do! I love to hear your little voice as you try out different sounds; you're pretty shy with your voice, but I'm sure you'll warm up soon. I'm so, so happy that I get to be your mama, and I can't help but wonder what you're going to be like as you grow.

    This is the life I've always wanted, and I want to relish it, enjoy the moments, and be able to look back on it knowing that I didn't waste my time grumbling! 

7 comments:

  1. Rebeca, I love it!
    Missed seeing you guys over flu season, the baby is getting so big!
    Hope to see you soon
    Maggie Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing your thanks. Praising the Lord for ALL He has given you. And I, too, love the realness of that picture:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Beca! You have such a beautiful family, and I'm so thankful I've been able to watch your kids grow up and change over time! And Pearl really is the happiest little baby I've ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:40 AM

    lovely and inspiring Beca. The photo is wonderful too! ~Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:36 PM

    I love it! Maybe I'll do one like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your life is full of blessings. Love the photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful post. And i love that photo. There is so much love in it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.