Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Eastward to Arizona

    We left California and headed eastward to Arizona. We got a later start than planned, and then of course had to make a stop at Intellegentsia Coffee in Pasadena so that Erik could fuel up for the long drive ahead. We parked outside of a very cool little travel bookstore, the kind of place that can get even the most settled sort of person dreaming. (Well, I'm not positive on that, as I've never been one of those settled sort of people, but it seemed to me that it could.) I popped in to use their restroom, and as I was leaving, the sales clerk asked if she could help me find anything. I said no, and that I wished I had time to stay and browse, but my family was waiting. Her reply was a snippy "I wish you could stay too, since you used our bathroom." I was pretty surprised at her response! After that the place didn't seem nearly as attractive.


We headed northeast through the Mojave Desert. It was fun to show the kids the land of Joshua Trees and Tumbleweeds, the high desert where I lived during my teen years. It was a long day of driving, and overall the kids did great. I passed out lots (and lots) of snacks. Raphael decided he needed to stop and "go pee" about every thirty minutes, but other than that we didn't have to make a lot of stops. 


We drove as far as we could before making a big stop, and then had a very late lunch at a rest stop not far from the California border. It was bleak desert, the late afternoon sun bright. 


Picnic and pit stop. In my mind rest areas are grassy places; I guess living in the Pacific Northwest all these years has spoiled me!


We spent the next few days with our friends Ryan and Katy and their family in Northern Arizona. They live in a small town on the historic Route 66. 


We enjoyed a few days of winter weather before heading south to warmer climates. Our friends put us up in this little guest house just next door to their home. It was wonderful to reconnect and for our kids to get to play with theirs.


There was a dusting of snow the first night we were there, and even though it wasn't much it was fun to see it. It reminded me of the cold but sunny days that comprised winter where I grew up in Alberta, Canada.


"Won't you get hip to this timely tip:
when you make that California trip
Get your kicks on Route sixty-six."


Keeping the driver safe and well-snacked! We logged close to 2000 miles on this trip, and Erik did a great job.

Stay tuned for the next episode, in which we visit the Grand Canyon...

1 comment:

  1. Wow...that's a lot of miles. We live in Ohio and so our round-trip was 4,000 miles, but with 2 instead of 4 kids, I bet it was easier... I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.