Saturday, January 28, 2006

Weary


        There is a verse that's been popping into my mind a lot lately. I was thinking that it may be my "verse of the week" but it's feeling more like the "verse of my life" right now. Paul wrote it to the Galations, in the context of reaping and sowing. He told them that "he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life". He then gave this exhortation: "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart." Lately I've needed to be reminded of this pretty often.
        I guess I've been feeling pretty weary. It seems that I can tell Peregrine the same thing four hundred times and he still doesn't get it. I make a meal, only to get the dishes done and find that somebody wants a snack and it's time to start on the next meal. I sweep the floor and immediately it's strewn with pine needles and crumbs. It seems that the dirty laundry baskets are full before the clean clothes are even put away. I finally get both kids down for a rest and the doorbell rings and wakes up Alethea. I wash faces, change diapers, clean toilets, and they all get dirty again.
        Life is relentless. Waves crash against the shore day after day; sometimes they are gentle and other times they are wild. The tides go in and out but still the waves come. That is kind of what life is like, anyone's life I suppose, but especially the life of a Mom. It's easy to grow weary, to wish that the waves would stop for a bit and that just for a moment there could be complete stillness and rest.
         I need to hear the words of Saint Paul often, and especially in the context in which he wrote them. Serving my family is an opportunity each day for me to sow to the Spirit. When I serve my husband and children with joy and love and selflessness then I know that I will someday reap the rewards of that. Paul wrote in the next verse "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith." As we have opportunity. As Moms, there is no lack of opportunity for us to do good. We have in our homes several people to whom we can do good. Maybe my boy only needs to hear me say something in a patient and loving way one more time before he "gets" it. Maybe he'll never get it. I don't know. But I do know that the promises of God are sure, and in that I can find rest.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Beca~ I was doing tons of dishes right before I sat down to read your blog. I had been reminding myself that I need to be more joyful, full of smiles - not so serious with the days' work. When I feel weary, I tend to look weary. It tends to bring my entire household down, but when I put on the garment of praise and rejoice, my household tends to mirror me. My children are a reflection of me as I should be reflection of Jesus. I love you, my sister friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, don't we all (us moms) know exactly how you are feeling, and with much sympathy. I'm glad we have eachother to keep things in perspective. I like your positive way of looking at it. I too have been challenged lately to purpose to do things in love.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.