Friday, February 09, 2007

Trust

Several mornings ago I found Peregrine has woken up extra early. Being a Mom who likes to know just how sleep deprived her child is, I questioned him a bit. "Did you see Daddy before he left for work?" His answer was a bit confusing to me. "No, but he came in and said goodbye and kissed me and told me that he loves me. But I was sleeping so I didn't hear him." When I asked him how he knew Daddy had done this if he was asleep he replied with such simplicity and faith: "He told me last night that he would."
I've been thinking about this for days. Peregrine had no doubt whatsoever that Daddy had done just as he said he would. I'm once again reminded of the words of Christ in Matthew 18:3. "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Oh, to have faith like that, to trust implicitly in the Words of our Father. And what a beautiful gift God has given to our children, this ability to place their trust in us. On the flip side, what a sobering reminder of the responsibility we have to be worthy of it. We are human; we will fail and disappoint them many times. I wish it weren't so, but I know it is. I pray that when we do we'll have the grace to humble ourselves and ask for their forgiveness. And I pray most of all, that during these precious years when we are "like gods" to them, we will introduce them to the One who will never fail them, who will never break faith with them, and who will never let them go.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:55 AM

    What an amazing story. It is incredible what our children can teach us about faith. They are such a blessing to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet.

    Today I had to ask my dd for forgiveness. She did something naughty and I overreacted, and was harsh to her. I lost my cool and completely forgot she's only two. Thankfully, she forgave me instantly. Another good reason to be childlike.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.