Tuesday, March 06, 2007

'til the Dust Settles

Things are still pretty torn up around here, although the new flooring was put in yesterday by Erik and a good friend. I'm very pleased with it, and so thankful to the men who worked a twelve hour day to get it all put in. The trim has yet to be put back in place, but that can wait. We also have a bit of painting to finish up, and a few other things. For now, there is a fine layer of dust that has settled over just about everything due to the saw that cut the boards to fit. I have a feeling it will be a while before we see the last of it. I swept this morning and got up some of it, but as soon as the floor was walked on it was clear there's a lot more. Erik took today off work as well, and has gone to buy a dust mop. We left carpet in the family room and so it became the temporary home of the furniture that belongs in the other rooms. Hopefully today we can make some good progress in getting things back in order. I'll post a picture soon.
In other happenings, it's beginning to feel a lot like Spring in the Northwest. After lots of the gray rainy weather they call winter around here we're having some beautiful bright days with temperatures in the mid- to high sixties! It's funny how in the Fall when it first gets down to sixty I put a jacket on but on the other side of winter the sixties send me scrambling to unearth a t-shirt! We've even opened the windows in the house to let in some fresh air, and even though it's a bit cool for that it feels wonderful. Yesterday I took Peregrine and Alethea and our friend's son Josiah to a park up the road from us. It was such a lovely day and after playing on the playground a while we walked across the park and explored a small seasonal creek. The boys pushed up their pant legs and waded in to the cold water while I held Alethea back from falling in! Josiah caught three salamanders and we all had fun looking at them. After that we played on a fallen tree and followed a little path through the forest. The kids were all muddy and happy.
I'm so looking forward to the warmer weather and being able to spend more time out of doors. We're beginning to think about the garden and have been clearing off the flower beds. The kids have even been picking me crocus so I've had a tiny bouquet on the table. Last year we talked of getting a couple of chicks to raise to be laying hens and I think we may actually do it this year. So much to do together..... I guess I'd better go get back to work!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:54 PM

    What a fun day! I cannot wait until spring! (we are supposed to get snow tomorrow!)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.