Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Out of the Mouths of my Babes

Here are a few things heard in and around our home the last few days days.

Peregrine, breaking out in what he called a "Psalm" one morning:
Weep not with those who marvel!
(Uh, yeah, make sure you don't weep with those who marvel. Where on earth does this stuff come from!)

Poppy, praying in her special gravelly prayer voice:
Dear Lord, Help us to be good, and pleasant, and kind, and somefing. And thank you for this milk, and thank you for Mama, and thank you for Daddy, and thank you for Mommy, and for somefing.....
(And this went on and on and on, with a lot of "somefings" thrown in when no better word came to mind!)

And Peregrine ended his prayer this way:
And You are the heavenly king who loved us not with half Your love and not with most of Your love but with all Your love, and that makes me want to love You with all my heart too.

A few nights ago, on a walk to the river, after both kids had given up playing on the bank and plunged in fully clothed, I overheard Peregrine saying this:
Some men went out in a boat with way too much cargo; this is the sort of story Jesus might have wanted to tell His people. So this is what happens when you have too much cargo in your boat.
(And at this point, he dropped a stone from his hand and it sunk to the bottom of the river. That is what happens when you have too much cargo. Not good. There just may be some deeper spiritual meaning hidden here.... for him who has ears to hear.)

8 comments:

  1. So very precious!
    I wanted to thank you for your encouraging words over at my blog. I have spent some time reading through your blog and it has truly been a blessing to me. I am praying for you and your sweet family, and especially for the little one growing inside you.
    Thank you for your testimony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:54 PM

    Your children are so awesome! I want to meet them :) I hope when my little man really starts talking that he will say things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:16 PM

    They are absolutely unique, and so, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoy your blog. You probably don't know me, but I have known Erik and his family for a long time, although rarely seen eachother in recent years. Your perspective on life is refreshing and heartwarming. Thanks for putting it out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way Peregrine ended his prayer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:47 AM

    Rebeca,

    What wonderful thoughts running through your children's minds! It's clear you are bathing them in the Word and prayer!

    I've run into your name around the "blogosphere" numerous times over the last few days... and I've really enjoyed visiting your blog as a result. I look forward to visiting again and getting to know you a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:32 AM

    love this :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.