Friday, October 19, 2007

A Boy Named Woodelson

In a faraway broken land there is a home for children, a three bedroom house with fifty little ones. Fifty brown faces left by parents too impoverished to care for them. Fifty little hearts waiting and hoping that they will soon be taken to another land, a strange land, to live with their forever family. One of these little boys is named Woodelson, and he was just visited by the family who is waiting and hoping and praying that they can bring him home very soon.
Woodelson is just two years old, and it's my friends Shelley and Corrigan who are in the long process of adopting him. While visiting Woodelson in Haiti, they also met another boy named Denilson who they are praying about adopting as well. Denilson is older, 7 or 8, and Shelley knows she'd need to homeschool him when he comes home. He doesn't speak English yet, and doesn't know how to read or write. She asked me if I knew of any resources for beginning to homeschool a child like this, so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else can help. I know there are many people who have adopted older children and who've adopted internationally; if you know of someone like this who'd be willing to share their experience, would you put them in touch please?
Also, please join us in praying that God will expedite the process of setting these children in their forever families. It could take another year or even two, and that's a long time in the life of a child; it's also a long time for the waiting families who love them! Shelley has written about their experience in Haiti on her blog. I'd encourage you to go read it and send up some prayers on behalf of these little ones.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any personal experience with this but perhaps I can send you to someone else with international adoption experience. Mary at Owlhaven has many children from Africa.
    http://owlhaven.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:54 AM

    Thanks for sharing this with us. This makes me want to adopt even more!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.