Friday, November 09, 2007

Kill Your Computer

You may have seen the bumper stickers that say "Kill Your Television" pasted on cars around town. Well, my children have decided to start a new campaign, this one being called "Kill Your Computer." While making dinner a few evenings ago I looked over to see my delicate little girl beating the computer screen with a wooden spoon. The LCD broke and we're left with an 8 inch viewable square in the corner of the screen. When I asked her what she was doing she told me between sobs that she was "killing the computer." Hmmmm, at those words I knew that her big brother must somehow be behind this, because Alethea doesn't generally go around "killing" things without some influence! Peregrine was sitting at the table coloring a picture, and when I interrogated questioned him about it he admitted to telling her to kill the computer.
Now, if we back up a moment, I'll tell you what was happening prior to the murder of our computer. I'd put a movie on for Alethea to watch while Peregrine finished up his coloring for AWANA. (We watch movies on the computer because we, the parents, have chosen not to have a television. No televisions were harmed in the making of this decision.) Peregrine was getting very distracted by the movie and Alethea wasn't paying any attention to it so I'd turned it off. My theory is that he was upset by this and instigated the computercide. To be fair, I don't think he told her to whack it with all her might with a wooden spoon, and I doubt he thought she really had the stuff of killing computers in her, but there you have it. The death of our computer. (We have a Mac that is computer/monitor all in one so it's not as simple as replacing the monitor.)
Thankfully none of our "stuff" was lost, and you can actually do a lot with just one small corner of your screen. Also, we have an archaic laptop that Erik recently revived to take on our upcoming trip to Mexico, so I'm able to use it for now. It's taking some getting used to, and I don't have my pictures and address book and favorites, but I do have something, and for that I'm thankful. I really want to post some pictures from Peregrine's birthday, but don't know how or when that will be able to happen. And I need to write his birthday letter, but that may have to wait .Right now I'm knee deep in packing and preparing for our departure in a few days.
I've been thinking though, this Kill Your Computer thing could maybe catch on. We could sell a little kit that would come with a bumper sticker and a wooden spoon. Our slogan would be "Kill Your Computer: So simple even a two-year old can do it!"

2 comments:

  1. Ummm, so it's kind of funny in a very expensive sort of way.

    ~Dar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee. Your kids make me laugh... although I don't know how much laughing you were doing when you surveyed your critically wounded computer!

    Hope your trip is a blessing.

    And I can't thank you enough, dear sister, for praying for me over this past weekend. Thank you for understanding, too. God gave us much grace, and helped us through.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.