Monday, November 03, 2008

Now We Are Six


When I was One,
I had just begun.

When I was Two,
I was nearly new.

When I was Three,
I was hardly Me.

When I was Four, 
I was not much more.

When I was Five,
I was just alive.

But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever.
So I think Ill be six now for ever and ever.

A.A. Milne

On Saturday we celebrated our Peregrine turning six. So many things come to mind when I stop to think about what a gift we have been given in this boy. I am incredulous that he is already six years old. I owe him a letter, but I'm dreadfully behind on those, as I haven't even written Poppy's from when she turned three (seven months ago. Ack. In my defense we had a baby two days after her birthday, but still. It's not like I never sit down and write anything.) So, my goal this week, along with cleaning my pantry, (which has been on my list since before Raphael was born) is to get these letters written. Quickly, before they grow and change anymore! 
I will leave you with some pictures of the Grand Celebration, the now epic costume party we have every year for Peregrine. 

Peregrine was very excited to receive some tools!


Raphael the happy Lil' Skunk.


The Glam Housewife with her Raggle Taggle Gypsy Man. the scary part? Erik actually liked me dressed up like this! I guess that's fair though, because I thought he looked mighty fine himself. 

Really, though, don't we all dress like this everyday? 

Poppy the Pastry Chef, who takes her job very seriously.

My nephew Gabriel, aka Cheeto!


My ol' Ma and Pa from the Prairies. I grew up on the Prairies, but even then they didn't dress like this.


My niece Jessamyn the Princess, who almost had to turn sideways to get through the door in those sleeves. When she was little we used to call her Jessamyn PrinCessamyn.

My sister Gloria the Peacock and niece Peace the Butterfly. Lovely, both of them.

Peregrine the Wild West Sheriff, and Poppy


And finally, "Great" Aunty Alyssa and "Great" Uncle Scott who managed to make it in spite of their old age.

We also had a little monkey (my nephew Diego), Daddy Warbucks, Grace, Little Orphan Annie and another darling little orphan join the party. A wonderful time was had by all. Peregrine is already talking about when he turns seven, and how long this bridge between birthdays is! We are thankful for our boy, and thankful to all who were able to come and celebrate with us, and those of you who didn't make it this year too.
And to illustrate his rascally-ness, here's a little conversation we had at a Chinese restaurant the other night: Since it was his birthday he got a free desert. This was after the birthday party where there was plenty of sugar to go around. I handed him his fortune cookie and told him we could read the message but that he couldn't eat the cookie. He accepted that without any complaining. (This is a BIG milestone!!) He took the slip of paper out of the cookie and I read it to him: "The thing you are planning will succeed." He didn't even hesitate to say, with a twinkle in his eye, "Does that mean I do get to eat the fortune cookie?" I came close to giving in on account of the quickness he came up with that, but held my ground. He's a wily one, and I really do have to watch it with him! 
Well, Erik is going to be home from work soon, so I'd better go freshen up my make-up, straighten my apron, and make sure my pearls look okay. I wouldn't want him to think I do nothing but sit around eating bonbons all day! 

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:13 PM

    I knew it! I knew you dressed up like that when I wasn't around! Did you dress down for my visits so I wouldn't feel so out-of-place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your big boy! Love all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raphael looks like a li'l stinker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, Happy birthday! Many Years! I LOVE that poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:25 PM

    Happy 6th year Peregrine!
    It will be full of adventure I'm sure! What fun you all have.
    Love, the Magee's

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.