Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Looking Forward

A big thanks to all of you who have been praying for us over the last few days. God answered our prayers and we are all doing much better today. Alethea, whom I was so concerned for yesterday morning, was acting like her normal self by last night. I praise God for such a quick recovery, because I really thought we may need to take her to the hospital for an IV. She is very thin to start with, and the two days without food really weakened her. She responded well to the fruit juice and broth, and by afternoon ate a little cottage cheese, which my nurse friend recommended as an easy to digest protein to help her regain muscle strength. At dinnertime I thought maybe she'd eat a little yogurt, but she wanted fried rice, and even asked for seconds! Praise God! Today the kids seem mostly back to normal, and Erik and I are still tired, but feeling much better. 
Here are a few other things that are going on around here:
  • I've started reading the Little House on the Prairie books to the kids. Yeah! I've read Farmer Boy to Peregrine but wanted to wait until Poppy was older to read the rest. So far, we are really enjoying them. And while I don't want to give up many of my modern conveniences, I really think a simpler life is calling to me. 
  • We are also reading Little Pilgrim's Progress, at Peregrine's request. His name means Pilgrim, and we've read this two or three times before. I'm so glad he likes it, because it's a good one for young and old. 
  • I'm dreaming of gardening! I'm reading Gardening When it Counts; Growing Food in Hard Times at the moment and am inspired. I'm pretty much a wanna-be gardener, but am learning, and this book has tons of good, down-to-earth information. I'm studying my seed catalog with red pen in hand! I'm also very inspired by the Pathway to Freedom family and this challenge they're hosting. I'm far, far, from growing a significant amount our food, but am encouraged that even a small start is a start. 
  • I love my kids. No surprise here, but watching them go through sickness and come through it and return to their normal active selves gives me a new appreciation and tenderness toward them. We are so, so blessed. 

5 comments:

  1. The girls and I really like Little House on the Prairy as well. Some how the kids grow faster then we can read the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Poppy's doing better. We've never had that type of sickness before, thankfully. It doesn't sound fun. Hopefully you guys can be out & about, and back to normal soon.

    We haven't started on the Little House books, but they are in the schedule for later in the year. Can't wait. I've never read them before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of cottage cheese when one has stomach issues, I'll keep that in mind.

    And, so glad to hear everyone is doing better. Wonderful books, I'm a big Laura Ingalls Wilder fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! I'm so sorry you all were sick! I've been offline alot lately and not caught up....sorry! :( I'm so glad that God took care of you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry that you all had such a rough time for a while.

    I have been so out of touch with the blogging world that I don't think I will ever be able to catch up with everyone. I've enjoyed trying to catch up with yours :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.