Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dragonslayers

In honor of the feast day of The Great Martyr Saint George, we made dragon pancakes, read the story of his life, and talked about how we can be good soldiers for Christ too. We may not have any dragons to fight, but there is certainly a battle taking place, and St. George is a wonderful example of endurance, bravery, and great love. While the story of him slaying a dragon is what he's most known for, he endured terrible tortures at the hands of the pagan emperor Diocletian. By God's grace George remained steadfast in his love for Jesus, and witnessing this many others also professed faith in Christ, including Diocletian's wife, who was also martyred. Finally, seeing that George would not renounce his faith, he was beheaded on this day in the year 303 and received a crown of glory. This is one "superhero" that I feel very good about my son wanting to emulate! 
 Since Poppy is not eating wheat at the moment, I used this grain free pancake recipe that uses coconut flour. The verdict? Yummy. Thanks, Carrie. Next year, maybe we'll go all out and make this amazing dragon cake and these fun swords

8 comments:

  1. Those dragons are CUTE but they pale in comparison to your children, Rebeca! Such sweet kids!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to remember that for next year! Your kiddos both look so adorable in that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea! Holy St. George, pray to God for us.

    I agree with Ericka, cute kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:28 PM

    These are awesome!!!! Thanks for the link! I hope you enjoyed them! My daughter just received a cookie cutter from her Nouna for Pascha. It's in the shape of an Orthodox Cross! I should make cross pancakes for the feast of the Holy Cross!

    A Blessed Thomas Sunday to you!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebeca!

    Just checking in to say hi and it's always a pleasure to catch up with your blog!

    Talk soon!

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm SOOO SORRY for not emailing you back yet. I've been going through somethings lately and stopping many things at the moment. I'll call you next week to catch up on things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pancakes! What a great idea! Looks like they had a great time too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now why didn't I think of that? My son will love this idea. Thanks for sharing!

    lindafay

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.