Sunday, August 22, 2010

Grain Free Scones

    A few years ago we had a lovely Sunday evening tradition of having "tea" for dinner. It usually consisted of scones, tea, and a few other small things, maybe some slices of cheese or hard boiled eggs. It was simple, and a nice way to end the weekend together. We got away from it in the last several months, as Erik, Peregrine, and Poppy have been off of all grains.
    I love to bake, and had been pretty proficient at doing gluten free, but grain free has been a new challenge! Thankfully, there's a lot you can do with both almond and coconut flour. When I posted on Facebook last week that we were having grain free scones someone asked me for the recipe so I thought I'd share it here. This is adapted from a recipe in Elana Amsterdam's wonderful book, The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. I highly recommend both her book and her website, elanaspantry.com. With no further ado, here's the recipe I've been using.


Currant and Lemon Zest Scones
(Cute little boy not included)

Sunday Evening Scones

2 1/2 C Blanched Almond Flour
1/2 t. Sea Salt
1/2 t. Baking Soda
1/2 t Cinnamon, Nutmeg, or Cardamom (optional)
1/3 C Melted Coconut Oil
1/4 C Honey
2 Eggs
1 T Grated Citrus Peel (optional)
 1 C Currants, Nuts, Dried Fruit, or Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 and line a large baking sheet or two small sheets with parchment paper. 
In a large mixing bowl combine the almond flour, salt, baking soda, and spice if using. 
In a separate bowl combine melted coconut oil, honey, eggs, and citrus zest; whisk to combine. Add wet ingredients and whatever nuts and/or dried fruit you're using to the almond flour mixture. Mix just until it forms a stiff dough. Drop the batter, in scant 1/4 cups, onto the parchment lined baking sheets. 
Bake for 12-17 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. You can do the toothpick test if you're not sure if they're done or not. Serve warm or cool. 
Enjoy!




This post is linked to Real Food Forager's Grain Free Round-Up.

2 comments:

  1. MMMMMM!!!!!

    This sounds so good!

    I'm wheat free/gluten free too and I look for recipes that I can make for my whole family. They like the GF stuff too.

    Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,

    It was so nice to see your comment on my blog. It's been a long time. I'm glad all is well with you.

    We grind our own grain and try to eat healthy but we've never done anything like almond flour. You're really venturing out. Good for you!

    I liked your photo caption, "Cute little boy not included." :)

    Do you grind the almond flour yourself?

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.