Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dare to Not Compare: Kid Version


When I first became a mama, it all seemed so simple...
   I was both humbled and encouraged by your response to my last post, Dare to Not Compare. I've been blessed as many of you have shared that you struggle with the same things. There's strength in numbers, isn't there? And something so healing in exposing the not-so-tidy bits of my life and finding that many of you can relate, that we're all just real people after all.

   My friend Shannon mentioned how we can also compare our children to others, and how there can be a fine line between wanting to encourage them toward excellency and making them feel condemned.  This really got me thinking, and is along the lines of a major parenting paradigm shift I've been undergoing the last year or so. If comparing our kids to others, whether by our words or our attitudes, makes them feel condemnation instead of grace, then something is grossly wrong with my approach. It can be so subtle, but can easily run like a strong undercurrent in my relationship with them. This is so far from what I want for them, and yet an honest examination of the way things are reveals that I have done this too much, if not with my words, certainly with my attitude.

   Deep breath....

   One of my children, and if you know me in real life, you will know which one, is a very challenging child. Highly intense, sensitive, active, extremely intelligent, perceptive, persistent, and emotional, are a few words that could be used to describe him. I can see the positives in these traits, but when you put them all together in an immature human, you have an explosive combination that can, and often does, create a lot of stress in our family dynamic. And when this one child takes about 75% of his mama's energy and attention, I begin to struggle with feelings of resentment.

    In the early years of his life, I would have used words like "defiant, strong-willed, and stubborn" to describe him. I took popular parenting advice and applied it to him, countering his fierce will with mine, meeting his stubbornness with what I deemed an appropriate consequence, and exercising my "authority". While I knew that each child was unique, I was still swayed by the notion that if you input a + b, you will get the desired result of c. (Something like love + consistent discipline, aka punishment, equals a happy, obedient child.) Sounds easy enough, right?

   Fast forward a few years, and something seems to have gone terribly wrong. My child, who is "supposed" to be happy and well adjusted, seems to have a very difficult time making wise choices. There is a lot of what appears to be anger there, and those tantrums that your two year old would only throw two or three times at the most if you dealt with them "the right way"? They still happen with a frequency and intensity that can be frightening at times.

   I have looked around at the other kids his age; they don't do this. I've struggled with silent, and sometimes not-so-silent resentment, that we are dealing with things that most kids his age left behind a long time ago. I've compared him, and in doing so, I've condemned. I've communicated to my precious child, not grace, but a deadly message that "you don't measure up", that "you are not what I was hoping for". Of course I've never said those words, and like to think I never would. I haven't even thought them exactly, but I've certainly felt them.

   I don't know what is going on with my son, but more and more I'm realizing that the "problem" is not one of merely behavior, and no amount of consequences is going to change him. There is something different in the way he is wired, and he requires a whole lot of love, understanding, and grace. (The love and grace must be super-natural, and we're seeking help on the understanding part. Of course, I think this is what all children require, but he even more so.) I wonder how much the approach we took in the early years worked against him, how much I tore him down instead of built him up. (And here I must remember to let grace wash over me, too. There is no condemnation. There are new mercies every morning. There is healing.)

    As I stood, sat, and wrestled my way through church on Sunday, I was flooded with these thoughts. (Yes, sometimes it feels like wrestling, with a baby in arms, and a couple of other kids who seem to want to hang all over me, or roll all over the floor, or something of the sort!) It's liberating to accept that my kids are unique, that the other family over there, the ones whose children sit still? They're just different kids. It's okay, it's even better than okay, to let go of my expectations. Maybe my son needs a small something to fidget with, or a walk outside in the middle of the service. The last thing I want is to make him miserable and resentful of being there, and so I need to do what it takes to help him. Not to change him, not to project my expectations onto him, but to accept who he is, and to help him.

    I've thought many times of writing about my son. I think one of the things that has prevented me, apart from not wanting to expose my family's "dirty laundry", is my fear of being judged. I say that, because I've judged so many other parents, especially before I had my own children. "Why doesn't she just do something about him?" I've shared these struggles before and been given plenty of well-meaning advice, much of it consisting of more ways to "discipline". My mama heart knows that is not what is needed here. What "worked" for another child in another family might have been just the thing for them, but there is no formula to apply here. I must stop comparing my spirited child with someone else. It's wrong, and it only damages him and my relationship with him.

    Will you pray for us? Will you pray for healing, and wisdom, and grace? Will you pray that I will joyfully accept who my child is, with all that it entails, and be granted love and understanding to build him up, to help him become all he can be?

  I share this in the hope that it will encourage some of you as well. May God give us all grace to love our children just as they are. To those of you who "know" what I'm talking about, my heart goes out to you. Hold on to hope, mamas! I can think of a few of my "real life" friends who will know exactly what I'm talking about, and I'm sure there are more of you. Blessings to all...

9 comments:

  1. Zenaida Buck5:04 PM

    I have been at, and still return to, this same place. Days when my eyes are on Christ seem illumined by a secret, beautiful light. Too many days my eyes wander; to others in the boat, to the storms raging. Thank you for sharing, for reminding me. I love you and your sweet family- May God have mercy on us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Zenaida. I know you know, and your encouragement means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appreciate your willingness to share this very tender part of your life with others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca,

    I've been reading your blog for years & years, since Poppy was either a baby or you were pregnant with her. I really appreciate your sharing this. My Nathan is such a HARD child- he sounds so much like you describe your above child.

    I could have written this: " In the early years of his life, I would have used words like "defiant, strong-willed, and stubborn" to describe him. I took popular parenting advice and applied it to him, countering his fierce will with mine, meeting his stubbornness with what I deemed an appropriate consequence, and exercising my "authority". While I knew that each child was unique, I was still swayed by the notion that if you input a + b, you will get the desired result of c. (Something like love + consistent discipline, aka punishment, equals a happy, obedient child.) Sounds easy enough, right?

    Fast forward a few years, and something seems to have gone terribly wrong. My child, who is "supposed" to be happy and well adjusted, seems to have a very difficult time making wise choices." and this too: "I have looked around at the other kids his age; they don't do this. I've struggled with silent, and sometimes not-so-silent resentment, that we are dealing with things that most kids his age left behind a long time ago. I've compared him, and in doing so, I've condemned. I've communicated to my precious child, not grace, but a deadly message that "you don't measure up", that "you are not what I was hoping for". Of course I've never said those words, and like to think I never would. I haven't even thought them exactly, but I've certainly felt them.

    I don't know what is going on with my son, but more and more I'm realizing that the "problem" is not one of merely behavior, and no amount of consequences is going to change him. There is something different in the way he is wired, and he requires a whole lot of love, understanding, and grace. (The love and grace must be super-natural, and we're seeking help on the understanding part. Of course, I think this is what all children require, but he even more so.) I wonder how much the approach we took in the early years worked against him, how much I tore him down instead of built him up. (And here I must remember to let grace wash over me, too. There is no condemnation. There are new mercies every morning. There is healing.)"

    So often, I've wondered, "what is WRONG with him??!?!" Our other three children, while certainly not perfect, are turning out beautifully. It's not as if we don't know how to parent or all of our kids are turning out badly. He is SUCH a tough nut to crack. I have felt so completely despondent over him and wondered what in the world I am doing wrong. I have two friends, both with large families and lots of boys, to please tell me what I am doing wrong and both have assured me that part of his "issues" are just being a boy but that he also has a very difficult personality/traits and that he is just going to take lots of work! I take comfort in knowing that many of his traits that I find so difficult in a 6yo boy will be wonderful traits in a grown man.

    One thing I've found really helpful in the past year is Hal & Melanie Young's book "Raising Real Men". It has definitely given me a lot of hope!

    At any rate, I really appreciate this post- it's nice to know that I am not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more I read biblical teachings ( I am now reading Ministry of Motherhood)I learn how Scripture tells us to not judge. And yet we all do it! We judge ourselves, others. Comparison is a form of judgement. I do it all day long. In fact I was just doing it this morning!! But Scripture tells us this for a reason, because it hurts and hinders. Have you thought about doing a gratitude journal, ala 1000 Gifts? I started and now want to be more diligent with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Andrei is exactly the same as your strong-willed little one! You are not alone!! When I see or hear of another mother struggling with such a child I feel I must tell them that they are not the only ones. Sometimes it feels that way. And I have no answers to the problem of how to raise and nurture such a child. We pray (a lot less than we should) and we battle (a lot more than we should), and the saying that a mother acquires salvation through her children makes so much sense to me now.

    Much love!
    Melissa who used to live in Eugene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly, I remember you! I totally agree with what you said about many of the traits that are so challenging in a child are highly prized in an adult. A couple of books that I've found helpful are Raising Your Spirited Child and Dr. Gordon Neufeld's Hold on to Your Kids. He really encouraged me to rethink the punitive style of parenting and focus more on the relationship. I think it's easy for us as parents to feel like we are alone, particularly when our children are challenging. May God give you wisdom and peace!

    Elizabeth, thank you for your encouragement. I have started a gratitude journal but haven't been consistent with us. I definitely find the "discipline" of giving thanks can make a huge difference not only in my heart but in the atmosphere of our home.

    Melissa... good to hear from you! One of my biggest challenges is to "pray more and talk less", trusting God to work in their hearts. Somehow if I really believed that it is Him who can change they're hearts I would probably talk a lot less. :> Blessings to you as you raise your little Andrei!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:04 PM

    I will pray for your relationship with him if you'll pray for mine and Daniel's. ;) He seems to be what you were describing as how yours was when in the toddlerhood. We battle with the same things!!

    It helps me to thank God that He entrusted such a unique personality to us! We have been given the honor of raising him and teaching him all that God wants us to teach him. :) Also, all the ways we'll be stretched as a family with all WE will learn from him, lol.

    We're just living day to day and dealing with the issues as they come up. There is no neat "package" to place him in. Discipline with the others doesn't work with him, so we're on a new road in which we can't see that far in front of us. Ah, lessons in faith and trusting in God, eh? ;) But, it is exciting to see what the future holds for these powerful children. <3

    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather, thanks for sharing about your relationship with Daniel. He does seem to have a different temperament than your others, for sure! I think it's so important to remember that each one needs to be trained up in the way HE should go, which might look totally different than the way you deal with your other ones. Grace and peace to you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.