Saturday, February 24, 2007

Chocolate Cherry Cake

Peregrine likes baking too!


I have many happy memories of baking with my mom as a little girl. Since getting married I've enjoyed creating baked goods for my own family. My husband has a sensitivity to wheat, so I've had to learn to use alternate flours when baking for him. The following Chocolate Cherry Cake recipe is a blend of my mom's Dark Chocolate Cake and the Cherry Chocolate Cake Erik's mom always made for his birthdays. (And that won him a ribbon in a county fair when he was ten!) I had fun combining the two recipes and making this decadent, yet simple, gluten free chocolate cake for him. You can, of course, make it with regular flour and it's just as good!


Chocolate Cherry Cake

2 cups all purpose Flour (or 1 Cup Rice Flour, 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour and 1/2 Cup Potato Starch)
1 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
3/4 cup strong coffee
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 can (21oz) cherry pie filling, 1/4 cup reserved
1 package (8oz) cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
12 oz chocolate chips
1 C whipping cream

CAKE
1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly flour two 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pans; set pans aside. Allow cream cheese to soften at room temperature while you prepare the batter.
2. Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine oil, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, coffee, and almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined, about two minutes.
4. Reserve 1/4 cup cherry pie filling. Mix remaining pie filling into wet ingredients. Add dry mixture and beat on low speed until just combined. Divide batter into prepared pans.
5. Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Prepare filling. Cool cakes on wire racks for 10 minutes before turning out of pans. Cool thoroughly on racks.

FILLING
1. In a small bowl mix reserved 1/4 cup pie filling, cream cheese, and vanilla.

GANACHE FROSTING
1. Heat cream in a saucepan until it begins to simmer. Remove from heat.
2. Pour chocolate chips into the cream and let stand five minutes.
3. Stir until cream and chocolate are thoroughly mixed and smooth.

To assemble cakes spread filling in between the layers and frost top and sides with Ganache. The above photo is a slight variation on the usual layers I do with this cake!
16 Servings


12 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:59 AM

    What a cute cake!! I am not much of a baker. Not that I am bad, I just don't go out of my way to bake. I'd much rather cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a terrific cake - well done! Did you just shape the cake with a knife, or did you use a different mold to get that shape.

    (I just might have to copy this idea - my daughter loves monkeys!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What!!!!! Thats so cute! Rebeca, this is the best monkey cake ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so going to talk my kids into a jungle themed birthday just so I can make a monkey face cake like this one. Did you use an oven-safe bowl or a dome pan?

    I will definitely have to try your Ganache recipe. I love a good ganache!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want one! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:21 PM

    Rebeca-- this looks fantastic! My kids and I are GI, and I'm always looking for baked goods that actually taste good-- I'll be all over this one later this week!! Do you have any other resources for good recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belle Etoile and Matilda- I baked the bottom layer in a regular round pan and the top in a stainless steel bowl. You could use a dome pan if you have one. For the ears I baked a cupcake, cut the top off, and cut that in half. The idea was from a Martha Stewart Kids Magazine.

    Anne McD- Let me know if you try it and make it. Just came across this site about GF flours:
    http://homegrown.typepad.com/home_grown_kids/2007/02/one_of_the_grea.html

    Email me and I'll be glad to send my favorite GF waffle recipe- they are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:40 AM

    What great pictures. The cake sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:37 PM

    what a great cake. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! I didn't know you were a master baker! I'm serious.

    lindafay

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alison5:35 AM

    Awesome recipe! Made this for my gluten free office-mate - quite possibly the yummiest cake I've ever made! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:06 PM

    I made a half-version of this recipe and made it into cupcakes.I don't like pre-made fillings and modified it by substituting 1 cup frozen chopped cherries, using 1 cup sugar, adding about 1 cup plain yogurt, and not using the coffee at all. I also used xanthan gum, which you didn't mention in your recipe.
    They are delicious even without frosting!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.