Thursday, November 02, 2006

Bother!

About a year ago I bought the complete tales and poems of Winnie-the-Pooh on cassette tape for Peregrine to listen to. I guess cassettes aren't a real hot commodity anymore because they were marked down to what I thought was a great deal. Last week I got an email saying that you can purchase the entire set of eight tapes now for only $10! Peregrine has spent countless hours listening to these stories and poems during his rest time, and Erik and I have also enjoyed them in the van. They're read by a British man, Peter Dennis, who does an excellent job. They are unabridged; this is pure, unadulterated Winnie-the-Pooh!
Christopher Robin Milne with Pooh, 1925

A.A. Milne's son Christopher said "... Peter Dennis has made himself Pooh's Ambassador Extraordinary and no bear has ever had a more devoted friend. So if you want to meet the real Pooh, the bear I knew, the bear my father wrote about, go and listen to Peter. You will not be disappointed. ..." We certainly have not been disappointed by these. Books on tape don't come any cheaper than this, so I thought I'd pass this on as I know people are starting to think about Christmas gifts. There's also a fascinating history of Winnie-the-Pooh along with lots of pictures of the original characters on the Pooh Corner website. I grew up on these stories and poems and I love reading them to Peregrine. But I still enjoy having them read to me!


Eeyore, Pooh, Kanga and Roo, and Tigger



Wherever I am, there's always Pooh,
There's always Pooh and Me.
Whatever I do, he wants to do,
"Where are you going today?" says Pooh:
"Well, that's very odd 'cos I was too.
Let's go together," says Pooh, says he.
"Let's go together," says Pooh.

(Read the whole poem Us Two here; from Now we are Six by A.A. Milne)

1 comment:

  1. I contemplated using "Milne" as a middle name for my kids.

    What a great gift.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.