Friday, August 22, 2008

Pit-Goo



I've always enjoyed tinkering with making my own "stuff". I've played around with lotions and potions of various kinds. One thing I'd never even thought about though, was deodorant. Yes, I cringed every time I reached for a stick of natural, aluminum-free deodorant, but I just figured that was the (high) price I had to pay not to stink. For a while I used the crystal mineral spray and that worked pretty well until I had Raphael. After that my hormones changed or something and it just wasn't doing the trick. So I did a little research and tried this recipe. I found it online somewhere, and would give credit where credit is due but I couldn't find it again when I tried. I used this one because I had all of the ingredients in the house and it's very, very simple.

Mix together:
1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 T Baking Soda
1 T Corn Starch
6 Drops each Tea Tree and Lavender Essential Oils
Store in a jar and apply with a fingertip.

Surprisingly, this works very well. I've been wanting to post about it for a while, but thought I should give it enough time to be sure it still worked. I'm happy to say that I've been using it for several weeks and it really has done the trick, even when our temperatures were in the high 90s. Erik and one of my good friends have also been using it and have found it effective.
When it came time for me to make a second batch I added some cocoa butter to make it a little more of a creamy consistency and not so soup-y. (Or goopy. Erik likes to refer to this as "Pit-Goo". He has a real way with words.) Here is Pit-Goo, version two. It's a bigger batch, but you could make a smaller amount to see if it works for you.

In a small saucepan over low heat melt:
1oz Cocoa Butter

Remove from heat and add:
1/4 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 C Baking Soda
1/4 C Corn Starch
20 Drops each Tea Tree and Lavender Essential Oil

Let the mixture cool in the saucepan and stir it occasionally so the baking soda and cornstarch are suspended as it cools. Spoon into a jar or small container and apply with a fingertip. 

I'm very happy to say that both of these recipes have worked very well for us. They are both simple and inexpensive. And I don't know about you, but it makes me feel good to be able to make something that I always thought I had to be dependent on someone else for! Or, as Deb said in her post about making laundry detergent, it's nice to "get off the grid". 
If you decide to try it, let me know. And I hope you all have a great weekend! 

7 comments:

  1. This is very cool and I *never* would have thought one could do this. I'm definitely going to give it a whirl.

    I love your husband's name for it...it sounds like something my hubby would come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to try this, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so going to do this. I've been thinking about it for months...especially since my biggest boy can get pretty stinky. Don't tell him I said that on a public blog. I, for one, smell divine at all times!

    Oh, and I love making my own laundry detergent. I think I may have posted a blog about that. I remember that way back in the Brick House Days I would make my own cleaning supplies. I still do, but somehow people keep giving me cleaning supplies when they move. Could that be a hint? Since the Drumwood Apt. Days I have loved Simple Green. Don't know how safe it really is, though.

    Let's schedule an October visit. It's my birthday month and the leaves should be sufficiently beautiful!

    I love you. Did you know that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:02 PM

    I was just talking about this topic tonight with a couple of friends. We are all trying to use more "natural"products, and as things are running out, I am now replacing them with better-for-you items. I have been using Tom's of Maine deodorant for a few weeks now and I am not 100% happy with it, so I am definitely going to try this out! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had read this a few weeks ago. My sister has been undergoing radiation treatments for breast cancer and they told her she couldn't wear deodorant for the 7 weeks she was having treatments...in the middle of the summer!

    She had been using cornstarch and reapplying it a thousand times a day, but I bet this recipe would have been OK for her to use.

    Luckily, she's done with her treatments now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I am going to use this recipe too. that is, the same day that I make my own laundry detergent that I've been meaning to get to for the last 6 months!! oh my. Where does the time go?

    It was fun to catch up with you via your blog. I think it's funny that I still have your old HSB blog in bloglines and I always go there and link to here :) funny.

    I'm having a blog-warming party with contest, will you come over to my place sometime? :)

    Amy
    Trujillo, Peru
    homeschoolblogger.com/amada
    fisheracademy.blogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mean, really, the name alone makes it worth trying! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.