Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Brothers


Last night was the first night Raphael slept in the crib in Peregrine’s room. I’m always sad when the time comes to move a baby out of our room, but the time has come. None of us has been sleeping well, and with with the other kids it finally took moving them to their own space. I’d given Peregrine careful instructions that when he awoke he was to leave his room quietly and not wake his brother, but I was a little uncertain as to how it would go.
I awoke this morning and heard Peregrine stirring, heard the soft opening of his door, heard the baby cry. I heard the door close and hoped that Raphael would go back to sleep. He whimpered a bit, then stopped. I lay still and listened as it continued; he would fuss for a few seconds, then stop. Then all was quiet. I got up and looked into “the boys’ room” only to see Peregrine standing next to the crib looking down at little Raphael, who was smiling and wiggling in great excitement. I felt a little annoyed that Peregrine hadn’t obeyed me after all until he explained in a voice of wonder:
“Mom, he woke up when I climbed down from my bunk bed and he started to cry. But he’s, like, perfectly satisfied with me. Whenever I tried to leave he would cry, but if I stay here he’s so happy!”
It was the perfectly satisfied that got me. And the sound of his voice, the tone that betrayed that he had found true joy in making another person happy. I sleepily put my arm around him and said “You really love your brother, don’t you?”

5 comments:

  1. Very sweet. Eli is only two weeks so we have a ways to go before he's with his brother. Isaac is looking forward to his brother sharing a room....he just doesn't want him to cry. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly satisfied, I LOVE it!

    Will I see you this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...

    That is precious!
    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pic!

    What joy we have when we see the love our children have for each other. It is so special, sweet and pure.
    How the Lord must feel when He sees us behave this way toward each other!!

    Glad to have you as my friend and sister. (hugs!)



    homeschoolblogger.com/h0mefree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:48 PM

    How adorable! Your son delights me with the things that he says. What a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.