Monday, October 13, 2008

Going Green

It's all the buzz these days: Do your part in caring for the earth and Go Green. Even Raphael has jumped on board. Being the independent thinker he is, though, he's not merely choosing cloth diapers over disposables and drinking hormone free milk from his free range mama. No, this little guy is serious about going green. Here you can see him thoroughly enjoying one of his first foods, avocado. (Organic, of course.)


It's with a twinge of sadness on my part that Raphael is beginning to eat solid food. With the other two,  it was a milestone I looked forward to more, but I've so enjoyed the simplicity of nursing this little one, and the connectedness we share. This time around I feel more keenly that this is a first step toward independence, and I know how quickly they grow. There is something so sweet about being his only source of nourishment; every ounce of him so far has grown and been sustained through his physical connection to me. Now, he begins to separate himself, to move slowly toward the independence that must come. It's only right, and it's good, but the baby days go so quickly by, and I shall cherish the memories. There's no looking back, after all. This is the period, from six months to a year, that I so enjoyed with Peregrine and Alethea; it seemed there were new discoveries every day. I'm sure I will enjoy it with Raphael as well, my little Green Boy. 

9 comments:

  1. That is so precious. I remember when Christopher would eat avocado and quinoa together. I miss some of those days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who mourns the first foods!!!! I truly understand, Rebeca. That clock just keeps tickin', doesn't it? Your littlest of boys is so very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:15 AM

    I can relate. My little girl up and quit nursing when she was about 11 1/2 months old and I was not ready for it. Nursing is such a beautiful experience. I am already looking forward to doing it with children we hope to have some time in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet photo, but I do know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute...He looks very familiar...I think he has a twin in Boston ... the Red Sox mascott/The Green Monster :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avocados are great! It seems like my boys could eat just bread and breadstuffs with a peach here and there and be ok... WE DO need to get together! i just tried to find your PH# with no luck. I will keep looking, or you could email it to me ;)
    Miss you all!
    Love K

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the "free range mama" line..too funny.
    I have been thinking about the same thing as I nurse my week old baby. There is something so amazing about carrying and then sustaining their little lives with our own bodies. God's design is so perfect! I plan to relish the moments as my little guy grows. I can believe a week has flown by already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:25 PM

    Awww! He's getting so big! That is a really sweet photo.

    I have a new blog and wanted to drop the link by you.

    Ali
    My God Given Mission Field

    ReplyDelete
  9. The heart break of each new step!
    It is so bittersweet. You grieve the littleness and also rejoice with their new accomplishments!

    The love you have for your beautiful ones is so apparent. It is relected in their faces each time I see them.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.