Monday, July 16, 2012

Forty-Two


Happy birthday to my love...
  
  If you read the title of this post and assumed it was going to be about the meaning of life, the universe, and everything, you would be wrong. But you just might get on famously with Erik, who has acheived a certain age that would answer that all important question. If you're thoroughly confused than you've obviously never read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or lived with someone who has. And you won't understand why I gave him a towel as a gift, either, so don't worry about it. Moving right along now...

    It was eleven years ago this month that Erik and I started getting serious about each other. We'd met five years prior to that and it took a while for the chemistry to kick in. It's hard to believe it's been that long; the years have gone by quickly, and I can't imagine spending them with anyone else. We've had a some challenges along the way, but who doesn't? Life is good, and I'm so blessed to spend it together with Erik. On his birthday we drove up the McKenzie Highway, had a picnic at one of our favorite spots, Belknap Hot Springs, and then continued up to Koosah and Sahalie Falls. It was a wonderful day of enjoying one another and celebrating Erik!

We started our hike at Koosah Falls. 
Koosah Falls from above.  This is one of those places where I hold on tight to the kids!
 
It was a beautiful day and the kids loved running along through the forest. We were fascinated with how this tree had grown beyond the rock, which was split beneath by the roots. 
The water was so beautiful!
Ambush!
We stopped for quite a while and let the kids explore in and around this hollow log.
Whitewater rafting, anyone? 
We hiked upstream until we came to Sahalie Falls, which isn't far from the headwaters of the MeKenzie River.  I think it was Erik who first introduced me to this place.
The six of us in front of Sahalie Falls. 
  
Erik likes this picture. I'm not sure I do, but since it's his birthday and he took the picture, and I'm his ever lovin' wife and all that jazz, I'll put it in here. 
We believe in "hands on" education, and "feet on" for that matter. Here we were learning about how  rivers form up in the mountains. 
The man behind the magic. Well, behind a lot of the pictures on this blog, at least. I'm glad he enjoys photography so much. I like taking pictures of him taking pictures. 
Sweet, silly Poppy!
Happy Birthday, Erik! I love you, and am so glad we're on this journey together. My life is richer for it.  

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:08 PM

    Ah, Happy Happy Birthday. Looks like a beautiful hike. I need to take my kids hiking before the summer is over. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar, we could meet up for a hike somewhere! We haven't been to Silver Falls in a while. Maybe we could do it some weekend day?

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:09 PM

    Happy Birthday, Erik!!!!
    So happy you're where your are at in this 42nd year of your life! God has richly blessed you!

    ~The Magee's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! We're going to make it up your way one of these weekends too.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures...so glad that you two found each other! And it sounds like Erik had a great birthday!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday indeed! Many Years!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.