Thursday, July 12, 2012

Moving Forward, Looking Back: In Which We Come to Terms With Asperger Syndrome


Peregrine and I at Proxy Falls, 2004.
    As we walked the shady path to Proxy Falls the other day, my mind wandered back eight years ago to another day in that same place. Our only child scampered eagerly along, now running forward, now lingering to examine a hollow stump or clamber over a fallen log. Little Peregrine was only a year and a half, exceptionally verbal and promisingly bright. We noticed something that day, nothing extraordinary on its own, but for some reason I've never forgotten it. And knowing him as I do now, I can see a lot of his who he is in this event. 

    It was late spring and the forest was cool and damp. The path was cushioned with pine needles and there was a quiet stillness broken occasionally by the squawk of a bird or a cry of delight from our little boy. As we climbed the path we began to hear the low sound of the falls in the distance and Peregrine began to stay close by. Long before we reached the falls he clung to us, instinctively knowing there was something there and wanting the security of his mama's or daddy's arms. We, of course, were happy to oblige, and we held him close as long as he wanted us to.



    We saw a glimpse that day of the intensity that is Peregrine. I've often said that on a scale of one to ten, all of his feelings are between eight and twelve. Because he was our first child I feel it's taken me a lot longer to notice that many of his traits aren't typical. After many years of frustration and wondering what we were doing "wrong", we have finally come to realize that Peregrine has Asperger Syndrome. I kept thinking that if we continued to provide firm, loving boundaries that he would outgrow some of his more challenging behaviors. What I took for "strong willed" or stubborn I now know is part of his inflexible thinking and difficulty in making transitions. (In this case, making the transition from his expectations to the reality of a situation. This often puts him into pretty serious meltdown.) There are many other traits Peregrine has that are very typical of people with Asperger's.

 

    Although we'd considered the possibility, it's really only been in the last several months that we've accepted it as a reality. It explains so many things about Peregrine, about what makes him tick, and about how his mind works. (And it's really different than the way mine does!) I went through a difficult time of wrestling with this and even through a process of grief. It still feels hard to say. "Peregrine has Asperger Syndrome." I've thought often of writing about it, and I feel that for my own sake it's important that I record a little of our experience. My goal is to think of it not as a "disorder" but to use it as a tool for understanding him and helping him live to his fullest potential. I will not allow a "label", something that for years I was determined to avoid, to define who my son is. I make a point of thanking God for making him just the way he is, and I am trying to embrace the wonderful parts of Peregrine's personality while helping him to grow in other areas. 

    As we once again made the trek through the woods to Proxy Falls, the memory of that long ago day filled my mind. I sat on a log,  holding little Pearl and watching Raphael and Poppy play, while Erik and Peregrine hiked down to the base of the waterfall. Peregrine, still intense, but on this particular day, fearless, climbed across fallen logs and explored the creek. I wonder what the future holds for him, what challenges, but also what opportunities he will face due to his unique mind. I hold to God's promise to give us a hope and a future, and to His unfailing love for each of us. I trust that His plan is good, that His grace is sufficient, and that He holds us all in the palm of His hand. 

    I hope to share more about some of the challenges our family faces as part of Peregrine's Asperger's. I have been hesitant to write some of this for a couple of reasons. First, I am determined that my little space in the blogosphere be one of encouragement, not a complaining fest.  On the other hand, I'm committed to honesty, and have been encouraged to share my struggles. Second, I want to be very careful not to share things that would be embarrassing to my husband and children. I have come to realize though, that if one of them had cancer or some other sickness, I would have no problem writing about it. This is part of who Peregrine is, not by his choosing, and I don't want it to be something that remains hidden. Third, in speaking with a number of other moms I know, I've realized that many others have similar situations and there is a hesitancy to talk about it. I have some thoughts on why, and I don't think it's healthy. We need each other. Fourth, this plays a huge part in our family dynamic and in why we are making the choices we are. If I am to share honestly about our family life, it must include how this affects us all. 

    

22 comments:

  1. Thank you for your courage and honesty. I have good friends whose first born has Aspergers and I can relate to much of what you have said. You are a wonderful mom and sharing this will help you on your journey of understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica. What happened to your blog? (Assuming you're the Monica I think you are.)

      Delete
    2. I know, I just havent felt the impulse to write in a while. We have had a lot of big things going on in the past few months, but I should at least pop on there to let everyone know I am still alive.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Rebeca. I have often wondered if Kahlan has Aspergers (although maybe not as severely), but haven't really looked into it. Maybe I should so I can learn a little more about what makes my girl tick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth looking into. :> It's funny though, I'd looked into it a few times and had to look a little deeper to really see it. Not everyone has all the traits, but the more I started reading the more I saw him in a lot of it. And it really has been helpful. I find myself being less frustrated and more compassionate. And that can only be a good thing, right!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing. I know it's been a process for you guys and it's good to know that you're moving forward together. Labels are nothing more than another piece of information describing a person... like having black hair, being intellectually gifted, athletically prone, or any other factoid about a human. It's interesting to me that our culture has assigned some of these "labels" with more significance or with a more positive (or negative) connotation than others. Giftedness (a "good thing") often accompanies other struggles... there is balance in all things. I love about your family that you see children, not as a herd of cattle, all to be raised and treated alike, but as a beautiful rainbow of individuals with unique giftings that they bring to the world. You're an incredible Mama and I'm so honored to call you my friend. Hugs to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn. Your kind words mean a lot to me. :> That is exactly what I've told Peregrine in talking with him... that's it's just a part of him, like the color of his eyes or the fact that he has a great smile or whatever. And that we'll use what we know to understand each other better and help him learn good ways of dealing with the things that are harder for him, etc. Hugs back to you, and thanks for your words of encouragement along the way.

      Delete
  4. Rebeca, I'm so glad you posted about this.. I've only just discovered Asperger's recently (in the last year or so). We have a very 'spirited' child who has multiple issues that have surfaced since he was a baby and though I've finally addressed it with our pediatrician, now 5yrs. (not having wanted to have him tested, labeled or given medication) we were just told he might be a difficult child. Could be, however, I genuinely feel he as Asperger's. Either way, I am trying harder to find ways to cope myself with our challenges and help him cope. Blessings to you and your family in helping him find his way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. (Are you someone I know, or do you have a blog?) Spirited is a word I've often used to describe Peregrine as well. Before learning about Asperger's, I felt the book "Raising Your Spirited Child" was as close as I'd found to anything that described him. The whole thing, parenting in general, but these kids specifically, are such a learning curve! Blessings to you and yours as well.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your honesty. I think it's important to be "real" in the blogosphere, sharing the challenges with the good times. I appreciate your comment about thanking God for making him just the way he is. I needed to read that today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Parenting isn't for the faint of heart, is it? Hope things are going well for you and your family too. :> My mom has often said that when she started thanking God for making me the way He did that something changed. Not in me, but in her. She's often reminded me of that as I've walked through some of the challenges with P.

      Delete
  6. I appreciate and respect your honesty Rebeca. Its not any easy thing to be honest with the world about personal matters. I really respect you for it and like you all the more. Virtual hugs to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. Let's meet up in real life one of these days, okay?

      Delete
  7. He is a special little boy and I know God will do great things through him.. Thanks for sharing. Knowing what you know now just empowers you to help raise him...I know you ate thankful for that. The more tools we have the better. Thanks for your transparency. It is much needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I appreciate your kind words. :>

      Delete
  8. Exactly... I read that a few year's back but as Photios gets older, it's apparent he's 'individually different'. (I say it that way because I try to remind each of us that we all are.) We do have a blog but it's terribly neglected now having our fifth child- I'm just too busy and don't mind letting it collect dust for awhile: flowersfortheteacher.posterous.com/
    -Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I just updated the username from 'Sprouts Member', not to confuse you (it was a blog I was humoring the kids with for their 'nature gatherings' around here)

      Delete
  9. It tookcourage for you to share!! Bless you for it. Some of the greatest people in time have had Aapergers - Albert Einstein to name one. They have amazing minds!! They are just wired differently. Hey your first born is amazingly made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is fearfully and wonderfully made. I was thinking further about your blog. Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a high school teacher who has witnessed the difficulties of a teenager whose parents won't consider a diagnosis, it seems good to accept this now, so you can respond to him better and he can learn too. God bless!

    Monica (orthodoxmothersdigest)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so know this struggle and trying to find the balance in it. My middle guy (almost 9) was designated Aspergers 2 years ago. Though it explained SO much it was a hard one to come to terms with. One day at a time. Don't let the what if's of the future drive you crazy either. God will give you wisdom for this particular little guy he has given you. (((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi. I need to remember that about not worrying about the future. :>

      Delete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.