Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thankful: Our Trash Can


 

    A trash can is kind of a silly thing to be thankful for, but I am. Erik and I spent our honeymoon on the Oregon Coast. One day we drove up to Tillamook where we toured the cheese factory. I'm sure we sampled some cheese and enjoyed a bowl of ice cream. We also bought a $3 ice cream bucket as a souvenir and have used it ever since as our trash can. It's become a bit of a joke in my family that we have such a tiny trash can, but since we were able to recycle and compost a lot, we usually didn't fill it up too quickly. Besides, who wants trash sitting around for days? In the last several months it's developed a crack but that's nothing a little packing tape couldn't fix. I was ridiculously happy that it fits perfectly under the sink in our trailer. I'm not big on buying souvenirs that will sit of shelves collecting dust. When we bought this almost 11 years ago I'm sure I wouldn't have imagined it would have stayed with us all this time, in daily use collecting our trash and reminding us of our honeymoon. Sometimes in life, it really is the simple things. 

4 comments:

  1. Love this! Love Tillamook cheese! Love the cheese factory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can really related to this (though I am newly married). Things like this can be very meaningful to us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. buying a souvenier on our honeymoon was one of our first married "discussions" I wanted something pretty, but not practical. He didnt want any souveniers (we were poor college students) We settled on a pretty and practical spoon rest. We still use it and it is a reminder of the art of negotiation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you. Yummy cheese. Hope all is well. I will be in Desert Hot Springs by Dec 1. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.