Sunday, November 04, 2012

Thankful: Unexpected Blessings




    Today I'm thankful for the unexpected blessings that seem to be meeting us along the way. We've been in Mexico since Wednesday and I have yet to go grocery shopping. Our fruit basket was looking pathetically empty, and I made a plan to go to the market tomorrow. This evening there was a hello at the door, and there stood a cousin of my dad's with a box of fruit to share! Erik had run into him the last few mornings on his walks, but it's been over twenty years since I'd seen him. He filled our basket, and then some, with fresh oranges, limes, lemons, avocados, persimmons, pomegranate, tangerines, and even a dragon fruit. We now have plenty of fruit, both beautiful and delicious, thanks to his kindness. 

    There have been other unexpected blessings on this trip too. I got to reconnect with an old friend in Santa Cruz and our kids had a great time playing together. We've gotten to camp in beautiful places. My Aunt Cathie and Uncle Dan threw a birthday dinner for Peregrine when we stayed with them, surprising him with apple pie and homemade ice cream and presents not only for him but for all the kids. We've found kindness, hospitality, and friendship all along the way. The kids have had lots of friends to play with, and we're enjoying spending time with my cousins here. I'm thankful for all the many ways we're being blessed as we journey on. 

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful days like that keep smiles on our faces and memories in our hearts for a long time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!

    I'm a California girl, so I do miss fresh fruit like lemons, oranges, avocados, and so forth, like, going out your door and picking it off of the tree!

    That's a beautiful fruit bowl.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.