Friday, April 28, 2006

The Phantom Frog and Other Ways to Traumatize Your Children


We are having gloriously sunny days and yesterday were out on the deck doing our "dirt work." (Also known as testing our soil, which Peregrine found extremely exciting as it involved dirt, water, little vials and colored capsules.) We mixed our concoctions and left them to do their thing for 10 minutes. I picked up Poppy and walked across the yard to see how our newly planted blueberries were faring. All of a sudden I felt something clinging to my backside. In a split second I thought it must have been on the chair I'd been sitting on and crawled onto me. I reached around to brush it off and felt cool, living skin. What followed was that incredibly girly reaction of jumping, shrieking, a batting mercilessly at the "thing", all with my 1-year old daughter in my arm. Of course Poppy started crying and then I realized, to my horror, that the cause of all this mayhem was only her sweet little foot wrapped around my body!
        I felt pretty lame, to say the least.
        And then this morning I ventured to WalMart with the simple task of needing to replenish the diaper and pull-up supply around here. I reached the aisle only to find that they were all out of "boy" pull-ups in the cheap brand that we normally buy. No problem, right? So I reached for the "girl" package. I'm not threatened by my 3 1/2 year old boy wearing pull-ups that have a pink stripe on them. I mean, they're under his pajamas after all, and he's not old enough to care. But you know what? I couldn't do it. I just couldn't bear the thought of seeing my boy in a pink pull-up. So I paid the extra $2 for the name brand "boy" ones. They're for my boy, after all.
         What would you have done?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:52 PM

    Blue on girls is one thing--yeah, I don't think I could of done pink on boys. It seems in a weird way to make them less male... sort of like how I feel when I see men holding hands in India--weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i laughed so hard about the not a frog. i got tears in my eyes. rebeca, you are great! you got my husband to like mushroom soup! about the boy pull up thing. i could do it, but scott would freak, so i always go with what he'd want or else don't tell him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was sooo funny! I read the "frog" thing to Tyler cause I was laughing so hard he had to know what it was about!
    About the pink on boys...I would've done the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebeca,
    That was a great story. I'm so glad you visited my blog and left a note there. I feel like I have a new friend! =) I've been enjoying reading yours.

    Blessings in Christ,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.