Friday, March 28, 2008

The Big Day

Today's the day, the magical "due date" that we've looked to for so many months now. I know as well as anyone that babies come when they're ready and not according to some day marked on the calendar. Even so, it's a bit disappointing to have "arrived" at the day and not feel as if anything is happening!
I thought I'd post a little update on how I'm doing and also a request for prayer. Overall, I'm doing pretty well. Physically I'm feeling well for the most part. I'm easily tired out and have minor annoyances like swollen feet and some back aches, but am not super uncomfortable. I've had enough energy to keep my kids cared for and fed, the laundry done, etc. (And my family has been great, as always, with helping out, bringing a meal, etc.) Also, thankfully, I've been sleeping pretty well. (Other than frequent trips to the bathroom!)
Emotionally I'm feeling a bit brittle these days. I know that changing hormones and tiredness contribute to some of that, and I'm trying to rest as much as is reasonable. Some days that's more than others! I've struggled with fear a lot during this pregnancy, mostly at the beginning, as that was the period of time we lost the previous two babies to miscarriage. For several months I'd had a lot of peace, and then the last few weeks have been battling the fear again. It's not so much going through labor, although I'm not looking forward to it, but fear that everything will be okay and that our little boy will be okay. Please pray with me that I will cling to the Lord and look to Him and not give in to fear, but be able to rest and trust in Him.
I saw my doctor today and everything was fine, but nothing looks imminent as far as we can tell. I knew that it would, but didn't like that the discussion had to turn to what we'll do if he's not born by this time next week. I'm scheduled to go in next Thursday for a non-stress test and ultrasound just to check on our little guy and see how he's doing. Apparently medical protocol, for whatever it's worth, has changed it's mind and now recommends inducing at one week past due instead of two as it used to be. So, at that point, they will want to induce me, probably the next day. I tend to be pretty anti-intervention and really, really don't like the idea of being induced. On the other hand, Peregrine was born about two weeks past his due date, and the placenta showed signs of aging. The really scary part was that after he was born the umbilical cord broke in two pieces- it was very, very fragile. (I remember cutting the cord at one birth I attended, and normally they're very tough.) So, after seeing that, I know that there is some risk in waiting longer, and I'd rather not be put in a place to have to make the decision whether or not to induce. I know induction increases the likelihood of further intervention, but after seeing that with Peregrine I would tend to err on the side of caution and listen to my doctor's advice.
So, that's where we are now. Just for the record, I've had one baby born two weeks past due and another six days early. Also, Erik came from work yesterday feeling awful and slept for over four hours. He stayed home today and has been resting but still doesn't feel well and has a pretty bad sore throat. Obviously, it would be ideal if he feels strong and healthy when the time comes for our baby to be born.
So, here are some points for prayer:
  • That Erik will recover from this sickness and the rest of us will stay healthy.
  • That I will go into labor naturally before next Thursday.
  • That I will overcome this fear and be able to experience the peace and rest and joy of the Lord.
  • That the labor and delivery of this baby will go normally and quickly.
  • That baby will be healthy and strong.
I know that many of you have prayed faithfully for us during this pregnancy, and we're so thankful to each one of you. Please continue to remember us during this time, and we'll do our best to keep you posted when anything happens! Also, if you have any Scripture verses you'd like to share that might help me to focus on what is good and true that would be great.

13 comments:

  1. OH, I've been thinking of you every day and wanting to call, but not knowing whether I should. I remember getting so many phone calls near the end of my pregnancy! I love you dearly and am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for you too Rebeca.
    Praying against that fear.
    And that you are able to keep your eyes on the One who has this boy's birthday chosen whether it is initiated by your body or the doctor.
    Most of all I pray that the Lord gives you His peace.
    Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy due date, Rebeca! I've been following your pregnancy and will look forward to a birth announcement. Praying it will be soon....

    "But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield."

    -Psalm 5:11-12

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:12 PM

    Definitely praying for you all. Let me know when things start happening, if you can. Maybe Eric can shoot off an email.
    Sus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:21 AM

    I keep checking back with your blog; so thanks for the update! I will most certainly be praying for you and Erik. I will pray that you go into labor naturally (I, myself, have only ever been induced and want you to know that even if you are, everything will go smoothly!). I wish you all the best and you will be in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for peace and a speedy delivery for you and health for all -especially Erik.

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you shared these specific requests-- now I can pray for you better.

    Do not fear, for I am with you;
    Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
    Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.


    Lots of love and many prayers,
    Beka

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops-- forgot to put the reference for that verse.
    (Isaiah 41:10)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prayed for you before I got to your site - then I prayed again down your list of requests. I understand not wanting any intervention (I felt the same when I was pregnant) but I know you want what's best for the baby. God knows, too, so if you need the induction, have faith it's God's will. Quite awhile ago, I remember telling you to "breathe in Jesus, breathe out fear"? I believe it was you I told this to and now would be a good time to do this. This waiting part is so very hard - I hope time goes quickly and soon you'll have your new baby in your arms.

    May the Lord give you peace and rest.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying all goes well for you and your family. Praying that the PEACE of God will transcend all worry and all of you-including the baby abide in His presence.

    Jasmine from
    LaneCH

    www.treeoflifehs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. dear, sweet Rebeca,

    Happy due date day! :) Those always came and went for me, too. :(
    I am praying for you and your baby, sweet friend! (And for Erik, too!)

    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have my prayers. Come, baby, come!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just stopped by to check for news :-)

    Continuing in prayer for you, dear sister, and hoping for news *soon*!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.