Friday, May 23, 2008

Mmm...muffins

*Quick update: I'm feeling much better; thanks so much for your prayers! 

I've always loved muffins, and this is a recipe I've been playing with for a while. My sister Alyssa keeps asking for it so I thought I'd just share it here. These muffins are not only yummy, but are also full of lots of things you're body will like. They're high in fiber and whole grains, low in fat, not too sweet, and yet are very moist and flavorful. This recipe makes 24 regular sized muffins. Here goes....

1 1/2 C Flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1 C Ground Flax Seed
3/4 C Oat Bran
3/4 C Brown Sugar (or Sucanat)
2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1 C raisins, dried cranberries, or other dried fruit
1 C chopped nuts or seeds (I like toasted pecans)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1/3 C milk (kefir works great if you have it)
3 eggs
1 t vanilla
1/2 C milk powder (optional)
1 orange, unpeeled and cut into large chunks.
1/4 C oil
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 1/2 C shredded carrots (you could substitute zucchini when it's in season)
2 apples, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Mix first group of ingredients together in a large bowl. Put milk, eggs, vanilla, milk powder if using, orange chunks, and oil into a blender or food processor. Blend until the orange is pureed. You'll still see bits of peel in there as if you had grated the rind. Dump this into a separate mixing bowl and mix in the shredded carrots and apples. (I shred these in my food processor/blender. This may be my favorite kitchen appliance, by the way! Useful for so many things.)
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry with a whisk or wooden spoon; the batter will be thick. Spoon into muffin pans. (I use paper liners, but if you don't you'll need to grease the pan first.) You can fill them right up to the top; they don't rise a whole lot. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Because they are so moist they're good even a couple of days after being baked, but I would refrigerate them if you're going to keep them around more than a day. 
If you make them let me know what you think! 
Hope you all have a good weekend! 



4 comments:

  1. Rebeca,
    I hang my head in shame to admit that I have been lurking but little else! Huge congrats on your dear little son! He is one handsome baby boy and I'm just thrilled for you guys! I continue to enjoy hearing about the happenings of your family and do apologize for being a stranger lately! Blessings, Dear Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I see you got a comment from one of my dearest friends!!

    That muffin recipe sounds yummy and really healthy! Maybe I'll try it!

    I'm hoping you're feeling better.

    Leanne in Longview

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:52 PM

    I made them this morning-- thanks! Everyone liked them and I just sent some home with Dad, too. I didn't realize it was already a big recipe and I doubled it so it made a lot. I used cranberries and pecans, I didn't have any oat bran, so I used some almond meal and more four. I noticed my Bob's red mill bag of ground flax had a recipe with the same main ingredients. It's nice to have some muffins in the freezer. I hope you guys are having a great weekend! love you, Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm over here to get the recipe this morning because Amy keeps raving about "Rebeca's muffins"!

    I don't have all the ingredients but I'm going to try to combine some of your ingredients with my favorite bran muffin recipe (add an orange, some carrots, the flax seed and oats) and give it a go!

    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.