Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Sunrise Muffins

    We eat a mostly gluten and grain free diet, although we have some rice now and then. These muffins are a nice change from grain free and from the usual almond flour. The coconut flour and carrots make them moist and they hold together really well. Coconut flour also adds a lot of fiber to baked goods. These are a hit with everyone in the family. I don’t have a picture, because we ate them all, but they are a lovely orange-y "sunrise" color. Next time I’ll double the recipe because I’ve noticed that the coconut flour really helps them to stay moist. Enjoy!

Sunrise Muffins

1 C Brown Rice (whole, uncooked)
3/4 C Orange Juice 

3 Eggs
Finely Grated Orange Rind from 1 Orange
1/4 C Melted Butter or Coconut Oil
1 t Vanilla
1/3 C Honey

3 Small or 2 Large Carrots 

1/3 C Coconut Flour
1/2 t Salt
2 t Baking Powder
1/2 t Baking Soda

Grease or line 12 Muffin Cups and preheat oven to 350. Combine Rice and Orange Juice a blender and blend on high until the rice is finely ground. (You can do this the night before and let it "soak" in order to neutralize the phytic acid present in whole grain rice.) Add Eggs, Orange Rind, Butter or Oil, Vanilla, and Honey. Roughly chop carrots and blend until they are as finely grated as you like. (You can even completely puree them so these aren't "Carrot" muffins.) 
In a small bowl sift together the Coconut Flour, Salt, Baking Powder, and Baking Soda. Add to blender and blend on low until just combined. The batter may seem thin at first, but the Coconut Flour, which is very high in fiber, will absorb some of the liquid. Pour or spoon into prepared muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy!




This post is part of The Nourishing Gourmet's Pennywise Platter.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:51 PM

    coconut, honey, orange-- this sounds good!

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those of us who don't have such awesome blenders to grind our flour, how much rice flour do you think 1 c. of rice yields? I've never heard of coconut flour, but I think I'll have to track some down!

    (Oh, and are you saying you really do waste time on the computer? There are just too many good things to read on this thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dar, I would say about 1 1/4 cups of rice flour. I would try it in your blender though, even if it's not as awesome as mine. :> I daresay it might do the trick. Bob's Red Mill sells coconut flour. I order it through Azure, but I'm guessing they might sell it at Harvest Fresh. Fred Meyer also carries it in the Nutrition Center. It's kind of pricey, but a little goes a long way because of how much liquid it absorbs. I make a loaf of bread for Poppy and the whole loaf only takes 1/2 Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does this come from the same idea as your corn bread recipe that you shared with me? Should I include allowing the blended rice to soak for a couple of hours? This muffin recipe would have strong hope in my kitchen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheri, I didn't include that in the recipe, but yes, it would be beneficial to soak the rice in the orange juice ahead of time. I did it the night before. Rice is much lower in phytic acid than corn, so it's not as important, but anything we can do to make our food more nutritious is good.
    Let me know if you make them!
    Rebeca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the recipe...we have been gluten free for a while and I need some more recipe inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completed the first step and bought the orange. I will let you know. Thank you for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rebeca! I have coconut flour but have been stumped withjust how to use it. I will let you know if Caleb enjoys these. I suspect he will!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.