Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Coming of the Pilgrims


This week in school we've been learning about the coming of the Pilgrims. One of the things I've been doing with Peregrine is having him do a short narration each week. Usually it's just a few sentences summarizing what we've been learning; he dictates it to me, I write it, and he copies it. This week I told him I would type it for him and he could do a longer one. So, without further ado, here is his story. (This kid amazes me. He even told me that Mayflower needed to be in "fancy" writing.)

The Coming of the Pilgrims
by Peregrine E. B. G.
The Pilgrims left England because they were not allowed to worship God in their own way. They went to Holland, but were not happy among the Dutch. So they left in the ship Mayflower and sailed to North America. Life was hard on the ship, but finally they got to Cape Cod. They decided to build a village called Plymouth Plantation. Building the village was hard work. They must build beams and poles to build their houses. First they all lived in one big house altogether, but then they started to make their own houses. That first winter in Plymouth was extremely harsh. Illness spread through the village like a wildfire. Nearly half the people died. But the next winter was not so harsh for they had built some more houses and had more stores because the Indians had showed them how to plant corn. Corn was their main food that winter. Their village grew and grew until the Indians became worried, for perhaps Plymouth was planning a raid. But they were not, for they had signed a peace treaty. They lived in peace for many years.

Picture by N.C. Wyeth

6 comments:

  1. Very nice job!

    (on a side note, I'd hoped to meet you last weekend at the St. John's Retreat. In Gods' time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job, Peregrine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a smart guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see any way to email you, and I have lost your email address on my contacts list!!

    I love getting comments from you! It's like a tiny surprise!

    I bet I can guess why you haven't been out and about lately...

    Could it be DUE to your very own gourmet little bun in the oven!!??

    Let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely blog... And what a great little storyteller you have in your midst!
    Blessings this Thanksgiving day.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.