Thursday, June 04, 2009

BBA Challenge #3: Bagels

The third recipe in the BBA Challenge is bagels. I'm not much of a bagel connoisseur; I enjoy one once in a while but I could take them or leave them. I have not spent my adult life attempting to recapture the perfect bagel of my childhood; in fact, I don't remember bagels as being part of my childhood at all. So I really can't say if this was an "authentic" bagel or not, but I did think it was pretty yummy. Chewy on the outside, soft and moist on the inside. They're not as much work as they seem and were a nice treat. I only made half the recipe, which still made 8 decent size bagels. And, I had some awfully sweet helpers.




4 comments:

  1. Those look delicious. I never really ate bagels much growing up either. However when I moved to NY and had bagels there I was sold. Nothing beats a NY bagel. Nothing here comes close so it is disappointing to not have the really good ones. Actually Bagel Sphere is pretty good. But I cannot by bagels in a bag from a grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the book from the library and I am maddly reading all the stuff that comes before the formula portion of the book.
    So far, I have only made the anadama bread but this coming week, I think I will have to make 2 kinds so I can catch up. Oh, my poor family. The way they are tortured by having to eat homemade bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been making bagels too! I have been meaning to post pictures of them. I put some sun dried tomatoes and basil in them, and it it is SO good! I couldn't believe how easy it was to make bagels.

    Yours look really good!

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'm going to have to give these a try this summer. I'm hoping to do 'A Kid Cooks On Fridays' this summer, to train the kids in meal preparation. There is a coffee shop in Lakeview (out in the Oregon high desert) that makes amazing homemade bagels and I've been wanting to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.