Friday, December 10, 2010

Party - Reverb10


Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.


I must be a middle aged (that sounds way too old for me) mother, because I'd have to say hands down the party of the year for me was Peregrine's 8th birthday. We've always had a costume party for him, and most years it's just been family. We wait with great excitement to see what everyone will come dressed as, and there is great anticipation as the time draws near. 
This year, for probably not the first time, Peregrine wanted to dress as a pirate. Now, I've been fighting against pirate-dom for years, but this year I finally surrendered and decided we'd just make it fun and lighthearted. He decided to ask his guests to bring a pie for a "pirate style pie contest" of which he would be the judge, and he carefully crafted ribbons for the winners of his contest. We found everything we needed for Peregrine's costume in a quick goodwill run, and I fashioned a "pie-rate" patch for the back of his vest. (I have to give him design credit though as he drew for me what he wanted it to look like.)
The day arrived, and with it the guests (some from as far away as Arizona!), the costumes, and the pies. As usual, there were grandparents, aunties, uncles, and cousins in grand costumes. There was delicious food, and then there was pie. All sorts of pie. We dished a small piece of each pie onto a large plate for the judge, who thoughtfully tried each one. The room was quiet as he pronounced the winners. And this is where our boy really shone; as he handed out the ribbons he was so diplomatic, so in charge, recognizing each entry for it's different quality, and each person for their contribution to his party. I was amazed and pleased. 


Another thing I noticed was how the gifts are changing to reflect a boy who is no longer little. Instead of lots of toys there were science kits and gadgets and books; he was thrilled with everything, and without being prompted remembered to thank people as he opened his gifts. 
It was a happy day for my happy (not-so-little) pie-rate. 


This post is part of reverb10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.