Monday, November 07, 2011

Thankful: November 7




A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.  ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry,Flight to Arras, 1942


    Today I'm thankful for imagination. I love to see how a spark of an idea in the mind of a child can quickly transform a morning. How a couple of kids playing together are suddenly wearing backpacks and needing trail mix because they're setting off on some grand adventure known only to them. How these little minds envision what they need and set about to create it. How pieces of silk cloth in various colors can turn any outfit into something much more than the sum of its parts. Need a hat, a skirt, a turban, a cape? How about a blanket or a belt? Look no further. I love how these children can completely immerse themselves in the world of imagination and be transported into far away places and stories. I wonder why we lose this as adults, this wonderful God-given ability to see something in the mind's eye and go about making it a reality. Here's to imagination! 

3 comments:

  1. I love this so much too. My 5yo played "spy" for half the day yesterday. It was so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how precious!! I love those silks. Your children's sweet imaginations are a beautiful thing to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post transported me back to my childhood home where I had a giant roll of newsprint (like you could buy from the local newspaper) and I made all kinds of things from it, including clothes held together with toothpicks. Thanks for reminding me of a happy time and thanks for the photo of your beautiful, imaginative children!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.