Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankful: Peregrine



    Tonight I'm thankful for my oldest son, Peregrine. It's hard for me to believe he's nine. (Nine! As in, halfway to eighteen.) Peregrine is full of life; on a scale of one to ten, I think he lives between nine and twelve. He doesn't have any small feelings, and pours himself fully into whatever he's doing. (Or into wishing he wasn't doing the thing he has to be doing.) Life with him is never dull! I'm enjoying watching him learn and make connections about the world around him. I love that he can follow a recipe and likes to cook. He's a great reader, and is always surprising me with bits of knowledge he's picked up here and there. He loves to be in charge, and I just gave him the responsibility of "teaching" a preschool class to Raphael every morning. He's perfect for the job; he's been reading Raphael stories and then making crafts to go along with them! Raphael is loving it too, and it's keeping them occupied (constructively) so that I can clean the kitchen after breakfast. He's a big help around the house, actually lightening my load a fair bit. He's constantly creating things; if it's not with Legos, then it's with paper, tape, beads, wire, anything he can get his hands on. He loves to draw too, and lately has been making comic books. I'm so glad God gave me this intense, spirited boy! 

4 comments:

  1. That's a good, positive summary of our boy. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving dear Rebeca! May God bless you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot tell you how much Peregrine reminds me of my David. Have you read the book "The Highly Sensitive Child"? I'm reading it now. It has been very helpful in teaching me how to react to his extremes. I am so thankful to have been able to watch your son grow (though your blog). I've loved reading Peregrine's stories and the tales of the things that he has done in the past. He is such a special child!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I'm glad it's been encouraging to you! I'll have to look into that book... thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.