Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Thankful: November 9

Image from imagekind.com and wordblessings.com.

    I have to admit I've struggled with being thankful today. It's been one of those days where I've been on the verge of tears more than once and all too often have given in to feelings of frustration, discouragement, and resentment. It was a day where one thing after another seemed to go all wrong, or at least didn't work out the way I hoped it would. Circumstances beyond my control threw me off balance, and I wish I could say I recovered gracefully. 


    I start most days with a beautiful prayer; often I pray these words as I awake and before I pull myself out of bed. They are easy to pray and harder to live:
    
 O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace. Help me in all things to rely upon Your holy will. In every hour of the day reveal Your will to me. Bless my dealings with all who surround me. Teach me to treat all that comes to me throughout the day with peace of soul, and with the firm conviction that Your will governs all. In all my deeds and words guide my thoughts and feelings. In unforseen events let me not forget that all are sent by You. Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering or embarrassing others. Give me strength to bear the fatigue of this coming day with all that it will bring. Direct my will, teach me to pray, and You, Yourself pray in me. Amen.   (St. Philaret of Moscow)


    Today I failed to treat all that came to me with peace of soul. Instead I got frustrated and annoyed and emotional. I often remind a child who's had a difficult day that God's mercies are new every morning, that every day is fresh and clean with none of yesterday's mistakes. As I was saying good night, Peregrine reminded me of this. "Mom, God's mercies are new every morning, even every minute!" So as this challenging day comes to a close I breathe in gratitude for new mercies, for fresh starts, for grace. I wonder how many little gifts I missed today because I was focused on myself and my petty troubles. Tomorrow is a new day, and a new opportunity to walk with eyes and heart open.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:26 PM

    Thank you for this reminder. I love you Beca and often pray for you as I'm struggling to understand my children. That is a wonderful prayer. I think I need to post that somewhere with certain words highlighted.

    I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dar. I pray for you too. The line that really gets me is the one that says "Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering or embarrassing others" as it relates to my children. I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe raising children is part of working out our salvation. I really appreciate how you share both the joys and struggles of parenting. Also, I would love to hear about your travel plans as you know them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Monica.
    Prayers to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and try to respond to your comments here on the page.